Resisting Retail Challenge!

Alright you guys, I’m going to take this challenge!

Click here to see my visual wardrobe library, everything I’m wearing next year!

I just made it up after looking through my closet and drawers the other day. After hanging everything up and putting things away, I realized that I had just about everything I’d need to wear without having to buy more clothes. So I asked myself, can I go a year without buying more clothes? What would I do with the money I usually spend on fashion each month? I decided to write up some rules and make this a year long quest to find the answers to those questions. If you decide you want to join me, here are the rules!

Resisting Retail Challenge Rules

1. 30 Day Grace Period

Determine if there are any more items that you would need to complete your wardrobe and then go buy them before the first 30 days have passed. You can only add up to 10 items, so choose wisely. Once this stage is over, you can’t buy any more clothes for the remaining 335 days (socks and underwear are exceptions to this rule).

2. Determine the Time Frame

I saved this for the second step because you’ll want to think of a time frame that you feel would be right for you. If you have a slight addiction to shopping, 365 days might be too hard to consider. Maybe for you it’s three months, or six months.

3. Enjoy the Challenge

Now that you don’t have to worry about shopping for clothes, get creative with the ones you have. Try different combinations based on color, pattern, theme, season or number of items in one OOTD. Ask your friends and supporters to put together outfits and wear those. I plan to do this a lot during my challenge and have photographed everything that I will be wearing outside of the house (excluding exercise gear which I don’t wear unless I’m actually working out).

4. Spend the Cash on Something Else or Save It

Since you’re not buying clothes, you should have some extra money at your disposal. Decide what you want to do with it. I plan on getting some of my work clothes tailored, going to local events, buying a GoPro camera and whatever else I can think of. Maybe a good incentive for you is saving the money for something else that you need or want like a huge shopping spree at the end of this challenge.

5. Evaluate Your Wardrobe

These are some things to keep in mind during the challenge (you’ll want to answer these questions when it’s all over). What do you seem to be wearing most days? What have you worn the least while taking the challenge? Is there something you can donate to charity? Did you learn or grow in some way while taking this challenge? Were you inspired in other areas?

If you plan on taking this challenge, let me know in the comments and post something about it on your blog. I’d love to see how you decide to spend the extra cash and what combinations of outfits you come up with.

Have courage,
Elle

18 Comments Add yours

1. Dāsha says:

Wow…Good luck Elle! There’s no way I can join this challenge but it’s a great idea.
    -Dasha

1. Elle says:

LOL, understandable. Maybe once I start posting my OOTDs and ideas, you’ll catch the bug! You could always try it for a month or two to see how that goes 😀

2. Carter Roland says:

I like the challengel Ella. Once the moved is over and I am unpack I am in.

3. Wow, I don’t know that I’d be able to do something like this specifically for the fact that I need a completely new wardrobe and I would never get through that task alone. I’m not a fashionista in the slightest and I actually hate shopping for clothing. Good luck on this challenge! Can’t wait to hear how it goes. xx adaatude.com

4. Anna says:

I have been trying this for the last few weeks in preparation for Fall! Love these suggestions for making the challenge a success! XO

Anna
    alilyloveaffair.com

5. Good luck girl! I tried to do a 60 day challenge and failed miserably so I tried the 30 day challenge…once again I failed. There’s absolutely no way I would make it a year, if I could I’d be way richer! I’ll say a prayer for you!!

xo

6. Good luck–this would be so hard for me to do! I do know there would be so much money for me to do other stuff if I did this.

Molly | Hey There Sunshine

7. Samantha says:

I would save SO much money if I didn’t buy anything but I don’t think I could go more than a few weeks haha but I applaud you for trying… good luck!

8. Darcy says:

These are great tips! I totally love the one about saving that money for something else. (I’m particularly fond of the go-pro idea because I am dying to get one ahaha!)

9. Mary says:

Ohhh would I love to try something like this! Its definitely harder than it seems!!

Sportsanista

10. Amanda Ray says:

Such a great challenge!! My husband and I just bought a new SUV, so I might try this challenge out to save some extra money!! ❤
    xoxo,
    Amanda | http://www.TheChambrayBunny.com

11. Nav Brar says:

such a great challenge..and honestly much needed. I have enough clothes to last me this decade..i am going to try it for sure!

Nav || Nav K Brar Blog

12. Brooke says:

Good luck! Such a fun challenge and a great way to be spending concious!

xo,
    Brooke | KBStyled

13. WOW! Good luck! I don’t think I could do this 😦 I am too much of a shopaholic

XoLindsay
    Sugar & Something

14. Moving to the mountains for the summer (the boonies) has prevented me from shopping and it’s so cool – but the money always gets spent elsewhere which bums me out (ahem, cocktails and dinners!)

I have, though, realized that working from home and living at a lake that I have WAAAAAY too many clothes 🙂

These are super great tips – I may have to do a challenge myself!

xoxo
    Brenda

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s